Saturday, October 8, 2011

A Day Made Better

Whoa. Almost a month since the last post....yikes. Well, this is a good news post. Two good things in two days this week have prompted me to sit down and put the experience to words so I don't forget.

On Tuesday, I went to the doctor and received the happy news that everything seems fine since the surgery and my body is back to normal. I still haven't had a visit from my monthly friend however and I was a bit concerned about that. The Dr. put my mind at ease and said I really should even expect it for another two weeks. Whew. After that she said that I am free to "try again" (although to be honest I really hate that term, so I'll say "see what happens" instead.) Good news #1.

Then on Wednesday, I was teaching a 5th grade class when two guys from Office Max and my principal show up (along with the teacher of the class and a student teacher who were already in my room for the lesson). I am very confused at that point, especially when Brett (my boss) has a camera pointed at me. One Office Max guy says, "Are you Lori?" Oh....and he's holding a bouquet of flowers too.  "Yes...." I say. "We are from Office Max. Have you heard of A Day Made Better?" "Yes," I say....although I really didn't but I was so stupefied at that point I didn't really know what I was saying. "Well, we are here to present you with $1,000 worth of supplies for your classroom. A Day Made Better is Office Max's program to try and erase teacher funded classrooms." HOLY SHIT!!!  This was awesome and a very aptly named program because my day was INSTANTLY better. He and the other guy then wheel in (on a dolly) an ENORMOUS box (like  big enough where I could it comfortably in it and put the lid on) full of classroom supplies. So he tells me to open it up and look through it and inside with the supplies are a new color laser printer and a new digital camera! AWESOME! Then they roll in a super sweet new office chair which is way nicer than any chair our school has or would provide. Then we took pictures with me and the Office Max guys and then with my class that was there witnessing the whole thing. One student asked, "Is your day better?" "Ummm, YES!". And then what was really cute was that the Office Max guy says that it was his first ever delivery for this program and he kept asking if I was happy and excited. He was pretty excited too I think. After they left, I asked a teacher why the hell I got that stuff and she said that you have to be nominated and she thought that Brett nominated me. I asked him later and he said yes that I totally deserved it cause I make so many other people's days better.

If you google a day made better office max, you will get the webpage with the info. They take one day a year to donate $1000 of supplies to 1000 teachers nationwide. If you search for my name, you'll see the entry from Brett. It's pretty basic to be honest, but nice nonetheless. Good news #2.

2 comments:

  1. Office Max is just catching on to something I've known for years. You have ALWAYS known how to make my day better. :) A honor that is long overdue and much deserved. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori!! That is so awesome! What a great day for you. Great that a Counselor was recognized by Office Max too. I'm sure you make a lot of kids' days better so it's time you received something in return. Great day all around!

    ReplyDelete