Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Liars

Today was one of those days that I really wish I could drink. Working with small children is a wonderful thing and just the other day I was thinking about how lucky I am that I get to basically teach kids how to be good people and hopefully make the world a better place. Well today I thought, how can those little shits sit there for over an hour and lie to my face?!!? Never, ever have I been lied to like I have been at this new school that I work at. In my previous school, I dealt more frequently with rampaging, angry kids and their angry parents, which was no walk in the park either. Last year and now this year have opened my eyes to the frustrations of trying desperately hard to make a kid understand that the worst part of lying isn't the getting in trouble, it is that I will have no trust in you for quite a long time and that my friend is a big, big problem for you. After an hour of sitting listening to two second graders lie over and over (and I know they were lying because my new thing is to write down their first story and then every subsequent story they tell so I can go back and quote them) I actually started to chuckle....you know that kind of you are about to go crazy chuckle. One of the little angels thought I was laughing about his lying and started to smile at which time I had to oh so gently remind him that I was not laughing cause the situation was funny, but because I was going slightly insane due to his story telling. Why? Why do they lie? It's like you can tell them in a million different ways that lying will only cause you to get in more trouble and lose trust, but until they are in the situation they just don't get it. And some....well, some still don't get it. Job security I guess.....

No comments:

Post a Comment