Saturday, October 15, 2011

Toaster Anyone?

It happened. I fell prey to the beauty and ease of eBay. It all started this summer when going to garage sales and needing a toaster. I came across a beautiful vintage Sunbeam radiant heat toaster. This toaster is the kind that has no button or lever to press down. You just drop the bread in and the toaster then lowers the bread...kind of like magic. (Side note - I had no idea how to work said toaster in the beginning cause the lady at the garage sale just said, "You just drop the bread in" and having never ever seen this before was a bit skeptical and stood in front of said toaster for close to 30 minutes before calling my dad to ask if I had just been ripped off, when VOILA, the toast went down on its own when I dropped it in!)

Sadly this toaster must have been on its way out, because within about 3 months it quit working. I love toast and I loved that toaster even more (think cool, curvy, chrome) so I went on eBay to find another one. I found one, because what can't you find on eBay, and purchased it for $20. Oh, another side note....that garage sale toaster was only $2.50. Sigh. Anyway, my new toaster came and it didn't work. Thankfully, this was a very nice seller and I told her my plight and she refunded my money and said I didn't need to return it. So now I have two beautiful old toasters sitting in my entry because I can't seem to part with them and secretly hope someone somewhere will appear to me and know how to fix these toasters.

Back to eBay I went. Here is where it really went wrong. I found a bunch of old vintage toasters (not radiant heat ones because I think shipping might mess with that mechanism) and was trying to decide. Well, I have this issue with eBay where I bid on something and think, "I won't win with that bid, I'm sure." I must have had that thought on three days, however, because I checked my email a few days later and I had the message that I had won. Sweet! I checked my email the next day and saw another message saying I won. Why are they sending me another reminder? The following day I was checking email again and behold another message saying I had won. Ebay doesn't send three of the exact same "You won" message so I actually opened the email. Oh dear. I had won 3 different toasters. Shit. So now in my house I have 5, yes 5, toasters. They are all beautiful, old, chrome toasters, and thankfully one of the three is pretty close to my original beauty and works. I have two others though that would love a good home. So if anyone wants a vintage toaster for Christmas, you should let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment