Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Parasite

Originally I was going to name this blog something like Hosting a Parasite, in honor of my belief that pregnant women are really just hosts for this thing living inside them, feeding off of them, and basically just using them to further their development. Sounds like a parasite to me. However, I decided that when my kid is old enough to understand things and it finds out that I've been posting on the internet and calling it my "parasite," it may have some sort of detrimental effect on it's self-esteem.

Brian is also on-board with my parasite theory and he used this when telling his mom (Joyce) the other night that I was pregnant. Brian had been kayaking in the Boundary Waters near Ely and stopped at his mom's house in Babbit to say hi, chat, and then head home. Here is the account of the conversation.

Joyce - "How's Lori feeling?" (Side note: For those of you who don't know, my stomach has had some difficulties this last year and I've felt like crap more often than not. A mystery illness really. No one has a clue and nothing worked....not even waving a magnet over my back and the woman telling me to let go of my anger.)
Brian - "She's infected."
Joyce - "What? What's wrong?"
Brian - "She has a parasite."
Joyce - "A parasite! Where did she get that? On your backpacking trip? The Boundary Waters?"
Brian - "From me."
Joyce - "Nooo, it's not from you."
Brian - "Yeah, I gave it to her."
Joyce - "What do you mean?
Brian - "I don't need to explain it to you . You already know the process of reproduction."
Joyce - "What?"
Brian - "She's pregnant."

At this point Joyce can't even be fully excited because she is so confused at what just happened. She ended up calling me last night to express how excited she is and relay her version of this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment