Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Actually It's the Size of a Lentil


So I went for my first doctor's appointment yesterday. Brian was off work so he was able to come along. As we were leaving he grabs his book. "You're going to READ during my appointment?" "No, it's for the waiting room." Hmmmm. We get to the office and sign in and wait. "Guess you wish you would have brought something to read." Which at that point I kinda did cause there was nothing to read there, so I proceeded to talk to him so he couldn't read. Terrible, I know. We get called in and there is this weird moment of wondering, "Is it ok for Brian to come in?" We didn't see any other guys going in. So we asked the nurse (who for the record was NOT enjoying her day based on her demeanor) and she said it was fine. She took my blood pressure (which was a bit high for me who normally runs a low 90/70) and weighed me. I did, yet didn't, want to see that number, but turns out they weigh you backwards so I didn't even see what I weighed. Then we headed in to wait for the Nurse Practioner.

Now our friends Kate and Matt had been to this same clinic for their kids, and he warned Brian the past weekend that, "The room is really small. You are just right there while they are doing everything." Very true. She came in let me ask my questions (answers: yes- I do need to eat that much protein, yes-I can still highlight my hair, yes-I can take my Singulair), and then she asked a bunch of health questions and had me sign forms, etc. She was VERY nice. I liked her. Then she had to get down to business. There was the physical exam which due to the size of the room, Brian got to be front and center for. He said he tried not to look but there was really nowhere else TO look, and he was kind of intrigued by the whole process.

Finally came the ultrasound. Up to this point she says everything seems good, I'm a low risk pregnancy. Then she "inserts" the "wand" to see what's happening in my uterus. Well, turns out that the Iphone apps and the doctors office were incorrect on when conception actually happened. I am actually more like 5-6 weeks along, not 8. So when we were looking at the ultrasound screen what we saw was the gestational sac and that was it. Now I have to go back for another ultrasound next Monday to take another look. Hopefully there will be more to see then.

I was pretty disappointed for several reasons. But really, it makes perfect sense. They kept saying you use the date of your last period to tell how far along you are, and I don't get that. You can't be pregnant on the first day of your last period. So according to what we saw yesterday, I must have conceived around July 15th. Brian claims that he knew when I was pregnant.....That day he kept saying how beautiful I looked, like I was glowing. And he even took lots of pictures of me (I was not looking particularly lovely that day let me tell you). But weird huh? We looked back on his camera and it was July 17th that he took the pictures. He's so sensitive. =) So, that's where I'm at. I think I've just started my 6th week, so really it's the size of a lentil. Which then makes me even more sad.....a LENTIL and my pants are tight. Yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment